I don’t know about you, but there are just some patterns and designs that I mull over far too long before trying them out. I know you MUST have gone through the same experience – instead of purchasing the pattern that you REALLY want, you buy some other pattern that seems close enough, and is on sale (if you are me and cheap) – and then it never quite hits the mark (leading to wasted fabric, disappointment, and frustration – yuck!)… Well, folks – this pattern was that for me. And I am here to say publicly – I have NO IDEA what I was waiting for!
This make is the True Bias Southport and is a fabulous easy to wear summer dress (or swimsuit cover up). It is designed for a C-cup (yay for no FBA), and is just a fantastic and fun make all around.
From the site:
The Southport dress is a tank style dress designed to be worn as a coverup at the beach or a dress for around town. It has a button opening at center front and a drawstring waist with inseam pockets. View A hits 20” from the waist. View B is maxi length and hits 42” from the waist and includes a center front slit.
Light weight, woven fabrics with movement such as cotton voile, rayon challis, crepe de chine, and lightweight linen.
I finally used my stash fabric!!!
I made this version in a rayon challis that has been in my stash since last December! It was one of the first large cuts of fabric I bought myself (yes – I was exclusively buying remnants from Joann’s for the better half of a year, lol), and it has been made and remade in my mind into no less than a dozen garments…
Button placket – using snaps? Heck yeah!
This dress features a button placket, which is adorable, but I mean – buttons? On super lightweight rayon challis? Yep – wasn’t something I was DYING to check off my skills list… So I skipped it! Katie from The Creative Counselor used snaps for her Bruyere, and ever since then I have been looking for the perfect project to use some – and this was the day!
Pockets and a waist tie – yep – this dress is everything!
Another requisite feature that I am digging are the nice deep pockets! I have never used a bar tack in a pocket before (gasp – for shame), but the techniques used here have given me a really nice finish. For the majority of the instructions, I used the sewalong for guidance, and it made putting the dress together – a snap (hahahaha – corny seamstress joke, I know)!
Two things I wish I had done differently
While I seriously adore this garment, there are two things I wish I done differently. The first, is to have used similar weighted bias tape to finish the neckline and armholes (even if that meant making my own). I used store-bought bias tape and its just too heavy for the lightweight rayon challis.
The second is to have just gone with the buttons – but stitched them down instead of fiddling with buttonholes. I am nearing the end of my breastfeeding relationship, so I will likely not need the placket for functionality soon. Buttons would have been more lightweight than the snaps, and again would have been a better complement for the fabric.
Seriously though – these are like SUPER minor nits – this dress is otherwise pretty amazing, and I thank Kelli from True Bias for allowing me to try it out!
Thanks for stopping by,
PS – for more pictures, check out my review on Pattern Revolution for the MAXIMIZE May Series!